Wine and Roses

The little unremembered acts of kindness and love are the best parts of a person's life. -William Wordsworth

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Home Stretch

Finally the semester is coming to an end, the holidays are here, and I couldn't be happier! I absolutely love the holiday season. One of my favorite days of the year is when 99.9 KEZ starts playing the 24 hour Christmas music! Some people don't like the holidays because of the long lines and the cheery people...I say to them Bah Humbug! What are they in such a hurry for? Taxes? That's the next exciting event. No thanks, I'll stick to Thanksgiving feasts, Christmas giving, and a hip-hip hooray for the New Year. I realize that for some the holidays are painful because of loved ones they've lost or they are all alone, but they should try to smile because they are alive. Mary Kay always says "fake it 'til you make it". I use her philosophy about being happy. When I wake up in a bad mood or someone cuts me off on the freeway, I try to force a smile until I'm actually happy again. Being grumpy is a waste of time! I'm reminded of the song about being in a hurry when all we have to do is live and die, how true is that. Everyone should remember to slow down this holiday season, let people with fewer items go in front of you at the stores, smile and be happy for the gifts we've received, becuase our alternative is racing around and being angry....but why? Where does that get anybody? This year try to donate some toys to the firestation for the children they save from their burning homes, some food to the food banks for the hungry that will appreciate a good hot meal, and your old clothes and random junk to Goodwill so that they can raise money to help the poor people in our neighborhoods. One man's trash is another man's treasure, somebody wants that purple purse and those neon yellow shorts! What comes around goes around...you may need the help some day and wouldn't you appreciate someone else's donations. Remember...the holidays are about GIVING not RECEIVING...make sure you are setting that example for your children!! Happy Holidays to all!!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger CrazyUncle said…

    You said what I was thinking! Some day, each of us may find we are in a situation where we might need some help. Well, that's what I've heard.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger SuzieQ said…

    Hey, Sweety! I am glad you have the skills to let the bad go and put on a smile. I think there is evidence that smiling can actually make you happy!

    It is time for me to let go of some things. Especially a BUNCH of clothes that don't fit me anymore. KRS and I watched The Sound of Music the other night and Maria said that when she came to the convent, she had to give all of her worldly goods to the poor. When they inquired about the dress she was wearing, she said "Oh, the poor didn't want this one!" Sometimes that seems like all we are willing to give...the stuff no one wants. If you are right, they could be treasures, but maybe we should think about clearing some space in our lives to benefit others.

    "A SMILE costs nothing, but gives much. It enriches those who receive, without making poorer those who give. It takes but a moment, but the memory of it sometimes lasts forever. None is so rich or mighty that he can get along without it, and none is so poor but that he can be made rich by it. A smile creates happiness in the home, fosters good will in business, and is the countersign of friendship. It brings rest to the weary, cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad, and is nature's best antidote for trouble. Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed, or stolen, for it is something that is of no value to anyone until it is given away. Some people are too tired to give you a smile. Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give." - Based on the writings of Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch

     

Post a Comment

<< Home