It's a Boy!
Sadly, I haven't had time to scan in the newest pictures of our little peanut, but we did find out that it's a boy! I will have to get those scanned in over the next few days and get them posted.
This ultrasound, aside from finding out the sex, was an explorative endeavor to check on the health of the baby. Since we decided against having an amniocentisis done this was the best way for the doctor to check for any birth defects and abnormalities. All systems checked out well except for the baby's kidneys which show a slight dilation of the renal pelvices bilaterally-a fancy term that means baby's kidneys are not properly draining the urine into the bladder. The doctor does not seem to be concerned at all, apparently this is quite common for baby boys and it generally clears itself up by birth. In very few cases the baby will need a minor surgery to correct the problem shortly after birth but they have told us not to even entertain the thought until after we get the results from a more extensive ultrasound with another doctor's office scheduled for August 10th.
I did feel the first few kicks over the past week. That's been exciting! The doctor told us that it would probably be a few weeks before dad would be able to feel the kicks but surprisingly he was able to feel the second kick! He is very excited and starting to realize the magnitude of what is going on in my body. It's so cute at night when I wake up to baby kicking me and sleepily tell dad that I feel movement because he jolts awake and tries to feel the kicks too. What an adventure we are in for!
This ultrasound, aside from finding out the sex, was an explorative endeavor to check on the health of the baby. Since we decided against having an amniocentisis done this was the best way for the doctor to check for any birth defects and abnormalities. All systems checked out well except for the baby's kidneys which show a slight dilation of the renal pelvices bilaterally-a fancy term that means baby's kidneys are not properly draining the urine into the bladder. The doctor does not seem to be concerned at all, apparently this is quite common for baby boys and it generally clears itself up by birth. In very few cases the baby will need a minor surgery to correct the problem shortly after birth but they have told us not to even entertain the thought until after we get the results from a more extensive ultrasound with another doctor's office scheduled for August 10th.
I did feel the first few kicks over the past week. That's been exciting! The doctor told us that it would probably be a few weeks before dad would be able to feel the kicks but surprisingly he was able to feel the second kick! He is very excited and starting to realize the magnitude of what is going on in my body. It's so cute at night when I wake up to baby kicking me and sleepily tell dad that I feel movement because he jolts awake and tries to feel the kicks too. What an adventure we are in for!

2 Comments:
At 3:34 PM,
CrazyUncle said…
It's a boy! Congrats! It won't be long before you are both saying "Oh boy." It's an adventure like nothing else.
You're still in your house. That's good news.And soon, you'll have your days free again. Good news there, too, right?
What else? I hope you are feeling well. Thanks for updating. Now get your mom to update hers.
At 6:45 PM,
SuzieQ said…
That jolting awake thing should come in handy in the coming year!!! I can't wait to feel the baby kick, too. What an awesome experience and I am so glad you have been blessed with this baby.
Post a Comment
<< Home